EGGPLANT FOR CHOLESTEROL, DIABETES, WEIGHT LOSS
Brinjal or eggplant is available in plenty when other fresh vegetables are scarce. Botanically it is known as solanum melongena, family solanaceae. Originally this plant is introduced to Europe many years ago and is being cultivated there. It is seldom found growing wild. It is gathered from summer to autumn . Fruits and leaves are used.
It is hypotensive, cholesterol regulator, anti diabetic, antihaemorrhoidal
It contains proteins, fat, fibre, carbohydrates, calcium , magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, Vit B1, B2, niacin , Vit. C.
1.Control cholesterol- The fruit is an excellent cholesterol regulator. The cholesterol levels are brought down to a great extent by the eggplant. It also helps stabilize the level of blood pressure. All this in turn lowers the risk of heart diseases. The body is also kept well hydrated thanks to the potassium content present in this vegetable. This ensures that there is no retention of fluids which prevents coronary heart diseases.
2. Control diabetes- The eggplants are a very rich source of fiber and low soluble carbohydrates. Thus they are highly beneficial for regulation of blood sugar levels and also to control the absorption of glucose. This makes them the best option for people suffering from type 2 diabetes.
3. Brain- Eggplant contains phytonutrients which keep the cell membranes protected from any kind of damage and facilitates the message transfer from one part to another, thus preserving the memory function.
4. Iron production- We all require iron for proper functioning in our day to day life. However, too much of iron in the body is not a good sign. The content of nasunin that is present in eggplant helps remove excess iron from the body. This brings down the risk of getting heart attack
5. Weight loss - Eggplant is considered to be high in water content yet low in calorie count. This feature makes it very ideal as a healthy diet for people who want to reduce weight. The spongy texture of the vegetable is what facilitates these characteristics, hence one must consume in its natural form as much as possible.
6. Helps digestion--. The digestive system is kept healthy and safe because of the good content of fibre in brinjals. This prevents constipation as well. The risk of colon cancer is also eliminated.
7. Helps quit smoking -- Eggplant has small amount of nicotine which helps those who want to gradually quit smoking.
8. Skin-- Eggplant maintains the skin health
9. It reduces swelling of legs, its decoction is applied gradually over the parts.
10. The root of the plant is anti asthmatic
11. The leaves have narcotic property forming a base for many medicines
12. It is applied externally with oils or fat for haemorrhoidal discomfort