BITTER GOURD- FOR DIABETES
Bitter gourd- It is a plant for diabetics . Bitter gourd botanically known as momordica charantia L belongs the family cucurbitaceae . In Sanskrit it is known as karavella. This plant is a annual climber. Its origin is not known , but it is a native of tropics. It is cultivated during the hot season throughout India, China, Srilanka, Malaysia . Roots , leaves, fruits are used.
It contains proteins, fats, minerals, fibre, carbohydrates, Vit C, small amount of Vit B1, B2, aminoacids, and a crystalline product known as p-insulin
1. Diabetes- Bitter gourd is used as a folk medicine for diabetes. It contains a hypoglycaemic or insulin like principle known as plant insulin , it reduces the blood and urine sugar levels. For getting better results the diabetic should take the juice of about 4-5 fruits every morning on an empty stomach.
Diabetic patients usually suffer from malnutrition. They normally undernourished . Bitter gourd being rich in all the vitamins, minerals, , especially Vit. A, B1, B2, C and iron. Its regular use prevent many complications of diabetes such as hypertension, eye complications, neuritis, and defective metabolism of carbohydrates. It increases body's resistance against infection
2. Piles- 1. Juice of the fresh leaves of bitter gourd is valuable in piles. Three teaspoonful of leaf juice with a glassful of buttermilk should be taken each morning for about a month in this condition
2. Root paste of bitter gourd mixed with butter milk in morning for bleeding piles
3. Blood disorder- Bitter gourd is highly effective in the treatment of blood disorders like boils, scabies, psoriasis, ringworm, and other fungal diseases. A cupful of fresh juice of bitter gourd mixed with a teaspoonful of lime juice should be taken on empty stomach daily 4-6 months for these conditions.
4. Leprosy-- Its juice is useful and works as preventive against leprosy
5. Small pox, chicken pox, measles-- One should take the juice of bitter gourd leaves mixed with curcuma powder in order to control small pox, chicken pox and measles
6. Respiratory diseases- A teaspoonful the root paste mixed with equal amount of honey or tulsi leaf juice acts as an excellent medicine for asthma, bronchitis, pharyngitis, colds and rhinitis
7. Eye diseases - Bitter gourd root pounded with horse's urine is used as a eye drop
8. Prolapse of uterus --The uterus prolapsed is restored to its normal position by application of bitter gourd root
9. Deep ulcers- Bitter gourd leaves , dhattura, karnamota, and kutharaka- these separately promote healing in deep ulcers on external application
10. Alcoholism-- Leaf juice is beneficial in the treatment of alcoholism. It is an antidose for intoxication caused by alcohol. It also tones up the liver affected by alcohol.
11. Jaundice-- Take 10 ml juice of bitter gourd leaves 2 times a day for jaundice
12. Diarrhea and cholera-- can be controlled by giving fresh leaf juice . Two teaspoonful of juice plus equal quantity of white onion juice along with one teaspoonful of lemon juice should be given in these conditions
13. As a purgative-- Bitter gourd act as a purgative