HOMOEOPATHIC REMEDIES FOR HEADACHE
Headache is pain in any region of the head. Headaches may occur on one or both sides of the head, be isolated to a certain location, radiate across the head from one point, or have a viselike quality.
A headache may appear as a sharp pain, a throbbing sensation or a dull ache. Headaches can develop gradually or suddenly, and may last from less than an hour to several days.
Causes--Headaches are generally classified by cause:
A primary headache is caused by overactivity of or problems with pain-sensitive structures in your head. A primary headache isn't a symptom of an underlying disease.
Chemical activity in your brain, the nerves or blood vessels surrounding your skull, or the muscles of your head and neck (or some combination of these factors) can play a role in primary headaches. Some people may also carry genes that make them more likely to develop such headaches.
The most common primary headaches are:
· Cluster headache
· Tension headache
· Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia (TAC), such as cluster headache and paroxysmal hemicrania
A few headache patterns also are generally considered types of primary headache, but are less common. These headaches have distinct features, such as an unusual duration or pain associated with a certain activity.
Although generally considered primary, each could be a symptom of an underlying disease. They include:
· Chronic daily headaches (for example, chronic migraine, chronic tension-type headache, or hemicranias continua)
· Cough headaches
· Exercise headaches
· Sex headaches
Some primary headaches can be triggered by lifestyle factors, including:
· Alcohol, particularly red wine
· Certain foods, such as processed meats that contain nitrates
· Changes in sleep or lack of sleep
· Poor posture
· Skipped meals
A secondary headache is a symptom of a disease that can activate the pain-sensitive nerves of the head. Any number of conditions — varying greatly in severity — may cause secondary headaches.
Possible causes of secondary headaches include:
· Acute sinusitis
· Arterial tears (carotid or vertebral dissections)
· Blood clot (venous thrombosis) within the brain — separate from stroke
· Brain aneutysm (a bulge in an artery in your brain)
· Brain AVM (brain arteriovenous malformation) — an abnormal formation of brain blood vessels
· Brain tumor
· Carbon monoxide poisoning
· Chiari malformation (structural problem at the base of your skull)
· Dental problems
· Middle ear infection
· Encephalitis (brain inflammation)
· Giant cell arteritis (inflammation of the lining of the arteries)
· Glaucoma (acute angle closure glaucoma)
- High blood pressure
- Influenza and other febrile (fever) illnesses
- Intracaranial hematoma (blood vessel ruptures with bleeding in or around the brain)
- Medications to treat other disorders
- Meningitis (inflammation of the membranes and fluid surrounding your brain and spinal cord)
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Overuse of pain medication
- Panic attacks and panic disorder
- Post concussion syndrome
- Pressure from tight headgear, such as a helmet or goggles
- Pseudotumor cerebri (increased pressure inside the skull), also known as idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Trigeminal neuralgia (as well as other neuralgias, all involving irritation of certain nerves connecting the face and brain)
Some types of secondary headaches include:
· External compression headaches (a result of pressure-causing headgear)
· Ice cream headaches (commonly called brain freeze)
· Rebound headaches (caused by overuse of pain medication)
· Sinus headaches (caused by inflammation and congestion in sinus cavities)
· Spinal headaches (caused by low pressure or volume of cerebrospinal fluid, possibly the result of spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid leak, spinal tap or spinal anesthesia)
· Thunderclap headaches (a group of disorders that involves sudden, severe headaches with multiple causes)
Well selected Homoeopathic remedies are effective for the treatment of headache. These remedies give permanent relief without any side effects .
BELLADONNA 30-Belladonna is one of the top remedies for headache of throbbing and bursting type. The patient experiences headache in forehead and temples.Associated with headache the face becomes hot and eyes fiery red in color. Eyes blood shot and red. There is heavy dropping of eyelids and the face flushed. Headache is worse from light, noise, movement or lying down.
BRYONIA ALB 30-Bryonia is an excellent remedy for frontal headache which is of bursting and splitting type as if everything would be pressed out. The patient experiences as if hit by a hammer from within. Another feature is headache occurs after having a haircut. There is retching and bilious vomiting .Headache is worse from all movement even of the eyes and on coughing.
GELSEMIUM 30- Gelsemium is another effective remedy for headache. Headache of dull, tired and heavy type starts at the base of the neck and extend upwards. There is drooping of eyelids , eyes heavy and experiences giddiness. The patient desires to lie with the head raised upon a high pillow and to be perfectly still, that gives relief . Headache from mental labour and smoking tobacco. Headache is better from pressure and on copious evacuation of pale urine.
GLONOINE 30-Glonoine is best for congestive headache during menopause or due to suppressed menses. There is headache in place of menses. Glonoine is an excellent remedy for headache from sunstroke or exposure to heat.There is violent throbbing headache due to high blood pressure.Headache increases or decreases with the sun. Face flushed. Headache worse from every movement.
IGNATIA AMARA 200- Ignatia is excellent for nervous type of headache after grief. It is also best for headache from exertion of mind like listening to a lecture or paying close attention to an orator. Headache as if a nail was driven in to the head. Headache terminates with a profuse flow of urine.
KALI BICHROMICUM 3X-Kali bich is an excellent remedy for headache due to sinusitis. Pain in head in small spots due to suppressed catarrh. Headache over eyes, especially right eye. Before headache comes on the sight is blurred , the sight improving when the pain begins.
LACHESIS 200-Lachesis is best for headache during menopause due to the non appearance of blood at proper time and better when flow appears. Headache worse after sleep.
NATRUM MURIATICUM 200- Natrum mur is best for anemic headaches of school children. Throbbing and blinding type of headache occurs periodically. Headache as if thousands of little hammers were knocking on the brains, worse in morning on awakening . Natrum mur is also effective for chronic headache from sunrise to sunset with pale face. It is also best for headache from eye strain and during menstruation.
NUX VOMICA 30- Nux vomica is effective for headache in persons of spare built, costive habit and sedentary life. Nux vomica s excellent for headache due to indulging in alcoholic and other stimulants. Headache occurs in occiput or over the eyes with vertigo. Brain feels as if turning in a circle . There is pressing pain in vertex as if a nail driven in.There is frontal headache with desire to press the head against something.
PULSATILLA NIG. 30- Pulsatilla is best for headache from overwork. There is wandering pain in the head . Pain extend to face and teeth. Better in open air.
SANGUINARIA CAN. 30-Sanguinaria is effective for headache during menopause. There is periodical headache , that is on every seventh day. Headache is more on right side. Pain begins in the occiput , spreads upwards and settles over the right eye, better by lying down and from sleep. Pain in head like a flash of lightening . Headache is accompanied by bilious vomiting , toothache and earache.
SPIGELIA 30-Spigelia is effective headache on left side. There is violent throbbing pain as if a band around head. Pain coming at regular intervals, spreading from the brow to the face and neck and involving the left eye.Headache worse from least concussion or motion, especially stooping. Associated with headache there is restlessness and palpitation.
SCUTELLARIA Q- Scutellaria is best for explosive headaches of school teachers. There is dull frontal headache with pain in eye balls. Eyes feel pressed outwards. Headache with frequent urination.
DAMIANA Q- Damiana is considered to be a specific remedy for headache. A dose of 40 drops of Damiana gives immediate relief.