HOMOEOPATHIC REMEDIES FOR HORMONAL IMBALANCE
When the word "hormones" is uttered, visions of raging menopausal women come to mind for most. That's so sad. Hormonal changes affect everyone from birth to death, yet we seem to have a very negative association with that word.
For women, the most pronounced changes come in their 40s and 50s, but can been seen as early as their mid-30s. Many more women are having hormonal symptoms earlier, which has a lot to do with not only our lifestyle and diet, but also the pollution, toxins and xenoestrogens (synthetic chemicals that act as estrogen in our bodies) that we're exposed to every day.
Some of the most common symptoms of hormonal imbalances are:
1. Persistent weight gain.--Yes, there are lifestyle, diet and physical activity components to maintaining a healthy weight, but that isn't the end of the story. Many women have underlying hormonal imbalances that make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight. Unaddressed or emerging insulin resistance is one of the most common; small changes in diet — such as eliminating processed foods, sugars and wheat — are steps in the right direction.
3. Low libido.--One of the most noticeable symptoms of hormonal imbalance is low libido, which starts with disturbed sleep. Without quality sleep our sex hormone production can diminish.
4. Fatigue.--Can't make it past mid-morning without some sort of pick-me-up? How about that mid-afternoon crash? It isn't normal to feel sluggish, scattered or mentally foggy. Easy dietary changes, such as eliminating wheat and most grains, will help stabilize your blood sugar.
5. Anxiety, irritability and depression.--Not feeling like yourself? This isn't the time for pharmaceuticals. Anxiety and depression are clues that you have an imbalance, toxicity, are overworked, stressed out, and most likely aren't nourishing your body the way it needs. Listen to your inner voice and take the actions necessary to meet your needs.
6. Insomnia and poor sleep patterns.--This starts the cycle of physical stress and increases cortisol levels, which directly causes many hormonal imbalances. There isn't one area of your life that insomnia doesn't touch.
7. Sweating.--For many women, night sweats and hot flashes are the first uncomfortable sign that something is amiss. This isn't the time to start hormone replacement therapy, but begin a food journal by jotting down what you eat and drink, how you feel physically, and any emotions that come up after. Many times our emotions are the trigger that increases internal temperature. The next time you feel the flashes coming on, stop and think about the thoughts swirling around in your mind.
9. Cravings.--After eating way more than you should have, or having gone through half a bottle of wine, do you look back and ask yourself why? Common causes of cravings and excess eating are adrenal fatigue, insulin resistance, and other hormonal imbalances. Again, minimizing sugars, alcohol, dairy and wheat — although difficult — not only will help control cravings, but your digestive issues as well.
Hormone imbalance in males
Hormone imbalance (mainly testosterone) in males results in major complaints of erectile dysfunction, infertility, low sex drive, breast development (gynaecomastia), depression, loss of muscle strength, decreased bone density, falling of hair and lowered energy levels.
Hormone imbalance resulting from thyroid gland dysfunction
Thyroid gland mainly controls the metabolic functions of the body. Hormones produced by the thyroid gland are TSH, T3 and T4. Imbalance of these hormones results in either of the two conditions – hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) or hyperthyroidism (hyperactive thyroid). Hypothyroidism mainly results in slowing of all bodily metabolic functions. While in hyperthyroidism, the metabolic functions are accelerated. The symptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain, chilly feeling, constipation, heavy periods among women, feeling of fatigue and slowness/sluggishness. The symptoms of hyperthyroidism include heated feeling, weight loss, hand tremors, restlessness, irritable mood, tiredness, palpitations, shortness of breath, diarrhoea, scanty periods in women and protruding eyeballs.
PULSATILLA NIG. 30-Pulsatilla is a top grade Homeopathic medicine for PCOS resulting from hormonal imbalance. It is indicated when periods are irregular, suppressed or very scanty. The periods are also very painful in such cases where Pulsatilla will heal the condition as one of the best Homeopathic medicines for hormone imbalance. Acne from menstrual irregularities may also appear.
SEPIA 30- Sepia is one of the most effective Homeopathic medicines for hormone imbalance leading to PCOS with irregular periods. Along with menstrual troubles, complaints of facial hair and infertility from PCOS are other symptoms of Sepia. Sepia is also indicated hormonal imbalance around menopause. Symptoms include hot flushes, tiredness, indifferent to loved ones, mood swing and irritability. Bearing down sensation in the uterus, dryness of vagina and aversion to sex. Sepia is also good for PMS. Irritable mood appears a few days before periods.Aversion to mental and physical work. Irregular menses. Sepia is also effective for hypothyroidism due to hormone imbalance. Constipation , chilliness and constipation are the main symptoms associated with this condition.
LACHESIS 200-Lachesis is indicated where marked hot flushes appear from hormonal imbalance during menopause. Cannot bear tight clothing around the neck or waist. Mental depression with aversion to meeting people and loss of interest in routine work, headache
IGNATIA 200- Ignatia is another medicine for PMS . Mood swings, emotional imbalance, depression, sadness and weeping before menses.
CONIUM MAC 200-- Conium is recommended as the most remarkable Homeopathic medicines for PMS due to hormone imbalance where breast pain, swelling and tenderness are the main issues arising before periods.
AGNUS CASTUS 30-Agnus Castus is the most effective among Homeopathic medicines for hormone imbalance in men with complete impotency. The erections are totally absent with relaxed, flaccid genitals. Aversion to sex may also be noted in such cases
CALADIUM Q- Caladium is selected when erections are absent, but sexual desire is present. Depression and sadness with erectile dysfunction
LYCOPODIUM 200--Lycopodium is prescribed when erections are weak, with premature ejaculation
NUPHAR LUTEUM Q- Nuphar Luteum is one of the most useful Homeopathic medicines for hormone imbalance in men where sexual desire is completely lost. This is usually accompanied by involuntary emissions during stool and urination.
ACID PHOS 30-Acid Phos is very effective among Homeopathic medicines for hormone imbalance where it leads to hair loss from the scalp, whiskers and genitals in men. Weakness and fatigue are also predominately present in such cases.
SELENIUM 30- Selenium shows the most remarkable results in hair fall from whiskers, moustache and genitals when accompanied by erectile dysfunction. The erections are weak and feeble. Involuntary seminal discharges during stool, urine or sleep are also well marked.
CALCARE CARB 200- Calcarea Carb is a good remedy for hypothyroidism due to hormonal imbalance. Weight gain and sensitivity to cold air is well marked. In women who complain of heavy and prolonged periods from thyroid hormone imbalance, the condition can be managed well with Calcarea Carb. Constipation is another complaint in hypothyroid persons who need prescription of Calcarea Carb as the effective option among Homeopathic medicines for hormone imbalance.
IODUM 200- Hyperthyroidism due to hormonal imbalance. Iodum is selected in case of major weight loss in spite of eating well. Along with losing flesh, the person complains of heated sensation in body, restlessness, nervousness and anxiety. Accelerated pulse rate and weakness . Palpitations from light exertion
NATRUM MURIATICUM 200- Natrum Mur is recommended in persons of depressed, nervous and irritable nature suffering from thyroid hormone imbalance. Weight loss, emaciation – markedly on the neck, is a major concern. Weakness, increased heart rate and palpitations from emotional imbalance or exertion are yet other symptoms that appear along with weight loss. Natrum Mur is equally effective in regulating the menstrual cycle disturbed by thyroid hormone imbalance in women.