A woman's sexual desire naturally fluctuates over the years. Highs and lows commonly coincide with the beginning or end of a relationship or with major life changes, such as pregnancy, menopause or illness. Some antidepressants and anti-seizure medications also can cause low sex drive in women.
If you have a persistent or recurrent lack of interest in sex that causes you personal distress, you may have hypoactive sexual desire disorder — also referred to as female sexual interest/arousal disorder.
But you don't have to meet this medical definition to seek help. If you are bothered by a low sex drive or decreased sexual desire, there are lifestyle changes and sex techniques that may put you in the mood more often. Some medications may offer promise as well.
Causes--A woman's desire for sex is based on a complex interaction of many components affecting intimacy, including physical well-being, emotional well-being, experiences, beliefs, lifestyle and current relationship. If you're experiencing a problem in any of these areas, it can affect your sexual desire.
A wide range of illnesses, physical changes and medications can cause a low sex drive, including:
· Sexual problems. If you experience pain during sex or an inability to orgasm, it can hamper your desire for sex.
· Medical diseases. Numerous nonsexual diseases can also affect desire for sex, including arthritis, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and neurological diseases.
· Medications. Many prescription medications — including some antidepressants and anti-seizure medications — are notorious libido killers.
· Lifestyle habits. A glass of wine may make you feel amorous, but too much alcohol can spoil your sex drive; the same is true of street drugs. And smoking decreases blood flow, which may dampen arousal.
· Surgery. Any surgery, especially one related to your breasts or your genital tract, can affect your body image, sexual function and desire for sex.
· Fatigue. Exhaustion from caring for young children or aging parents can contribute to low sex drive. Fatigue from illness or surgery also can play a role in a low sex drive.
Changes in your hormone levels may alter your desire for sex. This can occur during:
· Menopause. Estrogen levels drop during the transition to menopause. This can cause decreased interest in sex and dryer vaginal tissues, resulting in painful or uncomfortable sex. Although many women continue to have satisfying sex during menopause and beyond, some women experience a lagging libido during this hormonal change.
· Pregnancy and breast-feeding. Hormone changes during pregnancy, just after having a baby and during breast-feeding can put a damper on sexual desire. Of course, hormones aren't the only factor affecting intimacy during these times. Fatigue, changes in body image, and the pressures of pregnancy or caring for a new baby can all contribute to changes in your sexual desire.
Your problems don't have to be physical or biological to be real. There are many psychological causes of low sex drive, including:
· Mental health problems, such as anxiety or depression
· Stress, such as financial stress or work stress
· Poor body image
· Low self-esteem
· History of physical or sexual abuse
· Previous negative sexual experiences
For many women, emotional closeness is an essential prelude to sexual intimacy. So problems in your relationship can be a major factor in low sex drive. Decreased interest in sex is often a result of ongoing issues, such as:
· Lack of connection with your partner
· Unresolved conflicts or fights
· Poor communication of sexual needs and preferences
· Infidelity or breach of trust
Symptoms---If you want to have sex less often than your partner does, neither one of you is necessarily outside the norm for people at your stage in life — although your differences, also known as desire discrepancy, may cause distress.
Similarly, even if your sex drive is weaker than it once was, your relationship may be stronger than ever. Bottom line: There is no magic number to define low sex drive. It varies from woman to woman.
Some signs and symptoms that may indicate a low sex drive include a woman who:
· Has no interest in any type of sexual activity, including self-stimulation
· Doesn't have sexual fantasies or thoughts, or only seldom has them
· Is bothered by her lack of sexual activity or fantasies
Homoeopathy today is a rapidly growing system and is being practiced all over the world. It strength lies in its evident effectiveness as it takes a holistic approach towards the sick individual through promotion of inner balance at mental, emotional, spiritual and physical levels. When hypoactive sexual desire is concerned there are many effective medicines available in Homoeopathy , but the selection depends upon the individuality of the patient , considering mental and physical symptoms.
SEPIA 30—Sepia woman is highly irritable , sensitive, and angry, easily offended and miserable due to weak uterine problems. Low sex drive is due to the relaxation of pelvic muscles, and there is a bearing down sensation as if everything would escape through the vagina. Aversion to coition due to prolapsed of uterus and vagina wall. Frigidity from childbirth after weaning or hormone pills. Nausea and irritability on thought of sex. Great weakness after sex. Aversion to whom she loved best and other family members.
AGNUS CASTUS 30—Sexual desire almost absent. Sexual thrill absent due to excessive masturbation. Aversion to sex. Relaxation of genitals with leucorrhea. Great sadness , depression. And sexual melancholy. Diminished sexual desire with complete prostration and general debility.
BERBERIS VULGARIS 30---Berberis vulgaris is suitable to listless , apathetic and indifferent woman . Sexual desire absent due to pain during coition. Cutting, stitching pains during coition. Vaginismus. Vagina very sensitive, pinching constriction in mons veneris , contraction and tenderness of vagina. Burning and soreness in vagina after intercourse. Enjoyment absent during sex. Great prostration after sex. Neuralgia of ovaries and vagina are other factors for low sex drive.
ONOSMODIUM 30—Onosmodium is another effective medicine for low sex drive in woman. Sexual desire completely absent due to uterine pain and bearing down pains. Soreness of ovaries with rectum. The woman have low power of concentration and co ordination. She has early and prolonged menses. Great prostration, weak, timid. Ofter suffers from migraine headache. Sexual neurasthenia, weariness , tiredness in legs.
STAPHYSAGRIA 30--- Aversion to sex due to past history of rape or sexual abuse. Vaginismus, vagina is very sensitive to touch. Ovarian pain , going into thighs , worse pressure or sex. Prolapse with sinking feeling in the abdomen. Staphysagria patient often prefers solitude. Frequent urinary infection , which is worse from intercourse .
IGNATIA MARA 30— Sexual desire absent , especially in hysterical woman. They are moody, emotional , sensitive and easily excited. Aversion to sex due vaginismus, vagina very sensitive. Intense pain at the entrance of vagina during coition with burning heat. Sexual desire absent after grief, shock, disappointment , frustration, and worry. Patient is worse after coition
GRAPHITES 30---Graphites is suitable to fat , chilly and timid woman who suffer from constipation with late menses. Music makes her weep. Great aversion to sex. The vagina is dry, hot, or cold.
HELONIAS 30—Loss of sexual power with or without sterility. Genitals red, hot, swollen , burn and itch terribly. Diminished sexual desire with profound melancholy, mental depression, but feels better when she is kept busy. A dragging down feeling in pelvis, prolapsed uterus. Great languor , prostration and tired feeling in back.
DAMIANA Q--- A specific remedy for low sex drive. Sexual neurasthenia , frigidity with nervous prostration. Coldness of body with profuse, frequent and excessive flow of urine.
NATRUM MURIATICUM 200—Aversion to sex , which is painful from dryness of vagina. Burning smarting in vagina during sex. Natrum mur patient is weak, chlorotic and has palpitation after little exertion. Craving for excess salt.