Pineapple is known scientifically by the name of Ananas comosus (L.) Merr. Its a member of the Bromeliaceae family. Pineapple is known to be a native to South America and believed to be brought to
by Spanish explorers. Citric and malic acids are found in good quantities in
pineapple fruits. Citric acid concentrations in some cultivars may exceed 8%.
Ascorbic acid is also found in moderate amounts in pineapple fruit.
· Pineapple contains calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese fiber, and vitamin C
· It is low in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol but fairly rich in sugars.
· It is also a good source of thiamin (vitamin B1), vitamin B6, copper and dietary fiber.:
· Promotes bone growth and strengthens bones due to presence of sufficient amounts of manganese, a mineral considered responsible for healthy bones and connective tissues,
· believed to be useful for maintaining oral health and juice is considered helpful in healing process after a dental surgery.
· Bromelain, a protein-digesting enzyme in pineapple, has been shown to be an effective treatment in upper respiratory tract infections by suppressing coughs and reducing the thickness of mucus.
· Treating colds, sore throats, and acute sinusitis are other health benefits of pineapple.
· Bromelain reduces inflammation. Bromelain activates compounds that break down fibrin and blocks the production of kinins which both play a role in swelling.
· Because of these effects, it has been used to help treat rheumatoid arthritis and to speed up recovery from injuries and surgery.
· Other health benefits of pineapple is firming skin (by boosting the production of collagen), sloughing off dead skin cells, evening out skin tone, and making tiny wrinkles less noticeable.
· Natural beauty mask using pineapple.
· Pineapple may show allergic reactions in some people in the form of temporary swelling on lips accompanied by rash
· Excess consumption may result in diarrhea and extreme menstrual bleeding
· Excess consumption may also lead to miscarriages in pregnant women
· Consumption of unripe pineapple may have serious complications